Sexual Assault

June 26, 2019 - 5:28 am
DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — A beauty pageant winner is accusing Gambia's former dictator of raping her four years ago. The young woman is one of several now coming forward and accusing Yahya Jammeh of sexual violence while he was in power. Jammeh fled into exile in the reclusive nation of Equatorial...
Read More
FILE - In this Sept. 25, 2018, file photo, Bill Cosby arrives for a sentencing hearing following his sexual assault conviction at the Montgomery County Courthouse in Norristown Pa. Cosby has filed a lengthy appeal of the sex assault conviction that landed him in prison and says the judge allowed testimony from other women accusers that wasn’t relevant. 
The 81-year-old Cosby has been serving a three- to 10-year prison term since September at a state prison near Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke, File)
June 25, 2019 - 1:17 pm
Comedian Bill Cosby has filed a lengthy appeal of the sex assault conviction that landed him in prison, complaining the testimony of five other accusers was "strikingly dissimilar" to the pending felony charges and should not have been aired in court. The appeal Tuesday challenges Judge Steven O'...
Read More
E. Jean Carroll is photographed, Sunday, June 23, 2019, in New York. Carroll, a New York-based advice columnist, claims Donald Trump sexually assaulted her in a dressing room at a Manhattan department store in the mid-1990s. Trump denies knowing Carroll. (AP Photo/Craig Ruttle)
June 24, 2019 - 5:06 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump says a New York-based advice columnist who has accused him of sexually assaulting her in a New York City department store in the mid-1990s is not his "type." The president said in an interview with The Hill on Monday that writer E. Jean Carroll is "totally...
Read More
FILE - This photo provided by the Macon County Sheriff's Office in Decatur, Ill., shows Brendt Christensen. The former University of Illinois doctoral student on trial in the killing of a visiting scholar from China bought Drano and garbage bags three days after the slaying, according to testimony Thursday, June 13, 2019. (Macon County Sheriff's Office via AP, File)
June 24, 2019 - 10:34 am
PEORIA, Ill. (AP) — Jurors began deliberating Monday in the federal death-penalty trial of a former University of Illinois doctoral student accused of killing a visiting scholar from China. Prosecutor Eugene Miller pointed at the defendant, Brendt Christensen, during closing arguments and told...
Read More
FILE - In this Feb. 21, 2017, file photo, Owen Labrie looks at his family during a break on the first day of a hearing in Concord, N.H., on whether he deserves a new trial. Labrie, a New Hampshire prep school graduate convicted of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old classmate, is set to be released from jail, Monday, June 24, 2019, for good behavior. (Geoff Forester/The Concord Monitor via AP, Pool, File)
June 23, 2019 - 10:15 pm
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — A New Hampshire prep school graduate convicted of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old classmate is set to be released from jail. Twenty-three-year-old Owen Labrie reported to Merrimack County's jail just after Christmas, after a judge refused to shorten his sentence. He had been...
Read More
Naason Joaquin Garcia appears in court in Los Angels on Monday, June 10, 2019. Prosecutors in a case against the leader of Mexico-based megachurch La Luz del Mundo and two followers charged with child rape and human trafficking said they have "significant concerns" the church's followers could harass or intimidate victims and potential witnesses. (Al Seib/Los Angeles Times via AP, Pool)
June 21, 2019 - 5:00 pm
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A judge continued the extraordinary $50 million bail Friday for the leader of Mexico-based megachurch La Luz del Mundo but said prosecutors must offer more evidence of their child sex and human trafficking allegations at the next court hearing. Naasón Joaquín García, the church's...
Read More
FILE - This Sept 10, 2010, file photo shows people lining up to enter the Bergdorf Goodman store, in New York. E. Jean Carroll, a New York-based advice columnist claims Donald Trump sexually assaulted her in a dressing room at a Manhattan department store in the mid-1990s. The first-person account was published Friday, June 21, in New York magazine. Trump denied the allegations and said “I’ve never met this person in my life.” (AP Photo/Stephen Chernin, File)
June 21, 2019 - 4:22 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — A New York-based advice columnist claims Donald Trump sexually assaulted her in a dressing room at a Manhattan department store in the mid-1990s, according to a first-person account published Friday by New York magazine. Trump denied the allegations and said, "I've never met this...
Read More
Women protest after Spain's top court found five men known as the "La Manada," or "The Animal Pack" guilty of rape outside the Supreme Court in Madrid, Spain, Friday, June 21, 2019. Spain's Supreme Court on Friday overruled two lower courts and sentenced five men to 15 years in prison each for raping an 18-year-old woman. (AP Photo/Manu Fernandez)
June 21, 2019 - 12:13 pm
MADRID (AP) — Spain's Supreme Court on Friday overruled two lower courts and sentenced five men to 15 years in prison for raping an 18-year-old woman. The case had triggered an outcry because the lower courts last year convicted the men of the lesser crime of sexual abuse and handed down nine-year...
Read More
June 21, 2019 - 7:15 am
EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Michigan State University is authorizing what it says will be an independent investigation of the school's handling of sexual assault complaints against now-imprisoned former sports doctor Larry Nassar . The board of trustees unanimously approved the probe Friday. It...
Read More
This undated booking photo released by Detroit Police Department shows Deangelo Kenneth Martin, 34. Prosecutors have charged Martin, the Detroit man who police call a "person of interest" in the deaths of three women with sexually assaulting a separate woman. Wayne County prosecutors said Monday, June 10. 2019 34-year-old Deangelo Martin was charged with criminal sexual conduct and assault with intent to murder. The charges stem from the May 7 stabbing and assault of a 26-year-old woman in an eastside home. (Detroit Police Department via AP)
June 20, 2019 - 7:51 am
DETROIT (AP) — A Detroit man who police say is suspected in the deaths of three women will return to court next month for a key hearing on sexual assault charges in a separate case. Thirty-four-year-old Deangelo Martin had a brief hearing Thursday in Detroit, where he faces charges of criminal...
Read More

Pages