Sex in society

October 07, 2019 - 6:08 pm
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Los Angeles Opera has announced that the company's president and CEO, Christopher Koelsch, will take over the duties of Placido Domingo, who resigned last week as general director amid allegations of sexual harassment. LA Opera's board of directors said in a statement Monday...
Read More
Pope Francis attends a feast of St. Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of ecology, at the Vatican, Friday, Oct. 4, 2019. The ceremony takes place two days before a Synod of bishops on the Pan-Amazon region opens at the Vatican to address the ecological, social and spiritual needs of indigenous peoples in the Amazon. (AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino)
October 04, 2019 - 3:49 am
VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Francis has accepted a New Zealand bishop’s resignation over what church officials said was “completely unacceptable” sexual behavior with a young woman. Palmerston North Bishop Charles Drennan offered to resign following an independent investigation into the woman’s...
Read More
FILE - This Sept. 5, 2019 file photo shows James Franco at the premiere of HBO's "The Deuce" third and final season in New York. Two actresses have sued Franco and his former acting and film school, saying they were pushed into gratuitous and exploitative sexual situations as his students. (Photo by Charles Sykes/Invision/AP, File)
October 03, 2019 - 4:29 pm
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Two actresses sued James Franco and the acting and film school he founded Thursday, saying he intimidated his students into gratuitous and exploitative sexual situations far beyond those acceptable on Hollywood film sets. Sarah Tither-Kaplan and Toni Gaal, former students at the...
Read More
Jazmyne Childs cries during a news conference on Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2019, as she describes the sexual harassment she says she endured while employed by the North Carolina chapter of the NAACP, in Raleigh, N.C. She is asking the national NAACP to expel the man whom she identified as the person who assaulted and harassed her. (AP Photo/Martha Waggoner)
October 02, 2019 - 1:06 pm
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A former North Carolina NAACP leader has softened his denial of sexual misconduct accusations, saying that while he never intentionally harassed anyone, he realized his actions “may have been received as sexual.” In a written statement to The Associated Press, the Rev. Curtis...
Read More
In this Aug. 30, 2018 photo, John Delaney shows off his tattoos after speaking about his experience being abused as a child by the priest at his childhood church in Philadelphia, in his Sevierville, Tenn. On Monday, Sept. 30, 2019, victim compensation funds in Philadelphia, Allentown, Scranton and Pittsburgh will close to applications. Delaney said fund administrators offered him $500,000 and told him that it was the highest amount they would offer. He turned it down, he said. Sober for three years and counseling victims of sexual abuse and people struggling with addiction in San Antonio, it was never about the money. It was about justice and getting into court where a judge can force church officials to testify under oath, he said. (Caitie McMekin/The Tennessean via AP)
September 28, 2019 - 6:12 am
HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — When post offices close Monday, the last victim compensation funds at Pennsylvania's Roman Catholic dioceses will also close, hours before lawmakers plunge back into a years-old fight over whether to let long-ago victims of child sexual abuse sue perpetrators and institutions...
Read More
September 28, 2019 - 3:41 am
JOHANNESBURG (AP) — Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, has visited a memorial to a young South African woman whose rape and murder inspired thousands of people to protest the country's high rate of sexual violence. In a quiet stop during a royal tour, Meghan tied a ribbon to the memorial at the post...
Read More
September 28, 2019 - 3:19 am
JOHANNESBURG (AP) — Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, has visited a memorial to a young South African woman whose rape and murder inspired thousands of people to protest the country's high rate of sexual violence. In a quiet visit, Meghan tied a ribbon to the memorial at the post office where...
Read More
FILE - In this Aug. 26, 2014, file photo, Placido Domingo speaks at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in Los Angeles. The cancellation Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2019, of Domingo's Metropolitan Opera performance in "Macbeth" means the singer, who has been accused by multiple women of sexual misconduct, has only a few U.S. shows scheduled, all set for California in 2020. Domingo has said he strongly disputes the allegations made against him. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes, File)
September 25, 2019 - 4:33 pm
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — With the Metropolitan Opera's bombshell announcement that Plácido Domingo will not take the Met stage this week — and possibly ever again — the legendary singer's only scheduled U.S. appearances are set for next year in California, including at the LA Opera, where he is general...
Read More
French journalist Sandra Muller gives a press conference, in Paris, Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2019. A Paris court has ruled that the woman who launched the French version of the #MeToo movement must pay 20,000 euros ($22,000) in damages and fees for defaming the man she accused of harassment. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)
September 25, 2019 - 12:01 pm
PARIS (AP) — A Paris court ruled on Wednesday that the woman who launched the French version of the #MeToo movement must pay 20,000 euros ($22,000) for defaming the man she accused of harassment. French journalist Sandra Muller said she fears the message of the decision is "be quiet." Muller...
Read More
FILE - This May 20, 2006 file photo shows Placido Domingo acknowledging applause after performing at the Metropolitan Opera Gala honoring general manager Joseph Volpe in New York. Domingo has agreed to withdraw from all future performances at the Metropolitan Opera following accusations of sexual harassment made by women in a pair of reports by The Associated Press. The 78-year-old classical music star had been scheduled to sing the title role in the season debut of Verdi's "Macbeth" on Wednesday night, which would have been his first performance in the United States since the reports. (AP Photo/Stephen Chernin, File)
September 24, 2019 - 4:28 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — The Metropolitan Opera announced Tuesday that Placido Domingo had agreed to withdraw from his slate of scheduled performances at the opera house following allegations of sexual harassment made by multiple women in two Associated Press stories. The opera legend indicated that he...
Read More

Pages