Pandemics

Anthony Fauci
Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images
AP News
March 29, 2020 - 7:11 am
The U.S. government's foremost infection disease expert says the United States could experience more than 100,000 deaths and millions of infections from the coronavirus pandemic.
Read More
FILE - In this Tuesday, Feb. 25, 2020 file photo, Democratic presidential candidates, Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., left, and former Vice President Joe Biden, talk before a Democratic presidential primary debate in Charleston, S.C. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)
AP News
March 14, 2020 - 9:07 pm
As the two remaining Democratic presidential candidates return to the debate stage, their party, the stakes, and the world look much different than in their last meeting less than three weeks ago.
Read More
President Donald Trump takes questions during a news conference about the coronavirus in the Rose Garden of the White House, Friday, March 13, 2020, in Washington. Vice President Mike Pence, left, and Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, right listen. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)
AP News
March 14, 2020 - 8:37 am
WASHINGTON (AP) — Public health and national security experts shake their heads when President Donald Trump says the coronavirus "came out of nowhere" and “blindsided the world.” They've been warning about the next pandemic for years and criticized the Trump administration's decision in 2018 to...
Read More
President Donald Trump, accompanied by Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, left, and Vice President Mike Pence, right, speaks during a news conference about the coronavirus in the Rose Garden at the White House, Friday, March 13, 2020, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
AP News
March 13, 2020 - 7:12 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump said Friday he will “most likely” be tested for the novel coronavirus, as questions swirled about why he, his top aides and his family weren't doing more to protect themselves and others after repeated exposure to COVID-19. Trump has now had multiple direct...
Read More
August 01, 2019 - 1:41 am
KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — The Latest on Congo's Ebola outbreak (all times local): 9:40 a.m. A Rwandan official says his country has closed its border with Congo because of the deadly Ebola outbreak. The state minister for foreign affairs Olivier Nduhungirehe confirmed the border closure to The...
Read More
In this Sunday, July 14, 2019 photo, Red Cross workers carry the remains of 16-month-old Muhindo Kakinire from the morgue into a truck as health workers disinfect the area in Beni, Congo. The World Health Organization has declared the Ebola outbreak an international emergency. (AP Photo/Jerome Delay)
July 31, 2019 - 7:25 am
KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — The man who became the second confirmed Ebola case in Congo's major crossroads city of Goma has died, officials said Wednesday, adding that he may never have known he had the virus. The case renewed fears in the bustling city on the Rwandan border that has an international...
Read More
July 30, 2019 - 1:06 pm
KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — Officials in Congo say a second Ebola case has been confirmed in Goma, the city of more than 2 million people where the first confirmed case of a current outbreak was reported earlier this month. A statement read out by local officials on Tuesday said the infected man was...
Read More
In this photograph taken Sunday July 14, 2019, a morgue employee walks with a cross past others disinfecting the entrance to the morgue in Beni, Congo DRC. The head of the World Health Organization is convening a meeting of experts Wednesday July 17, 2019 to decide whether the Ebola outbreak should be declared an international emergency after spreading to eastern Congo's biggest city, Goma, this week. More than 1,600 people in eastern Congo have died as the virus has spread in areas too dangerous for health teams to access. (AP Photo/Jerome Delay)
July 17, 2019 - 4:58 pm
GENEVA (AP) — The deadly Ebola outbreak in Congo is now an international health emergency, the World Health Organization announced Wednesday after a case was confirmed in a city of 2 million people . A WHO expert committee declined on three previous occasions to advise the United Nations health...
Read More
Workers wearing protective clothing prepare to bury Agnes Mbambu who died of Ebola, the 50-year-old grandmother of the 5-year-old boy who became Ebola's first cross-border victim, in the village of Karambi, near the border with Congo, in western Uganda Thursday, June 13, 2019. The two were part of a larger Congolese-Ugandan family who crossed to Congo when one of their elders there, a pastor, became sick with Ebola and they crossed back into Uganda on June 9 via a footpath not patrolled by border authorities. (AP Photo/Ronald Kabuubi)
June 13, 2019 - 4:28 pm
BWERA, Uganda (AP) — The latest on the Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda (all times local): 10:15 p.m. The Congolese Health Ministry says another child has died of Ebola, bringing the death toll to three within the same family that had recently traveled from Congo to Uganda. The 3-year-old boy...
Read More
This photo released by the International Rescue Committee (IRC) shows a Congolese refugee boy washing his hands before entering one of the medical tents used for evaluating newly arrived Congolese for potential symptoms of Ebola, at the Kyaka refugee settlement in western Uganda Wednesday, June 12, 2019. A 5-year-old boy in Uganda vomiting blood became the first cross-border victim in the current Ebola outbreak on Wednesday, while his 3-year-old brother and grandmother tested positive for the disease that has killed nearly 1,400 people in Congo. (Kellie Ryan/International Rescue Committee via AP)
June 13, 2019 - 3:24 am
KAMPALA, Uganda (AP) — A second person infected with the Ebola virus has died in Uganda, the health ministry said Thursday, after a family exposed to the disease quietly crossed the border from Congo. The first cross-border cases in this Ebola outbreak — the second-deadliest in history — have...
Read More

Pages