Hemorrhagic fever

This photo released by the International Rescue Committee (IRC) shows the treatment unit where the confirmed and suspected cases of Ebola are being treated Wednesday, June 12, 2019 at Bwera hospital, Kasese District, in western Uganda near the border with Congo. A 5-year-old boy vomiting blood has become the first cross-border case of Ebola in the current deadly outbreak and now authorities are trying to determine how his family, exposed to the virus, managed to cross from Congo into neighboring Uganda. (Ben Wise/International Rescue Committee via AP)
June 12, 2019 - 8:30 am
KASINDI, Congo (AP) — The Latest on the Ebola outbreak in Africa (all times local): 6:15 p.m. The World Health Organization says an expert committee will meet on Friday to discuss whether to declare the Ebola outbreak a global health emergency. This is the third time the committee is meeting on the...
Read More
This photo taken Monday, June 10, 2019 and released by the International Rescue Committee (IRC), shows an Ebola screening checkpoint where people crossing from Congo go through foot and hand washing with a chlorine solution and have their temperature taken, at the Bunagana border crossing with Congo, in western Uganda. Uganda's health ministry said late Tuesday, June 11, 2019 that a child in Uganda has tested positive for Ebola in the first cross-border case of the deadly virus since an outbreak started in neighboring Congo last year. (Ben Wise/International Rescue Committee via AP)
June 12, 2019 - 2:12 am
BENI, Congo (AP) — A 5-year-old boy vomiting blood has become the first cross-border case of Ebola in the current deadly outbreak. Now authorities are trying to determine how his family, exposed to the virus, managed to cross from Congo into neighboring Uganda. The World Health Organization late...
Read More
June 11, 2019 - 11:44 am
KAMPALA, Uganda (AP) — Uganda's health ministry says a patient has tested positive for Ebola in what is the first cross-border case of the deadly virus since an outbreak started in neighboring Congo last year. The ministry said Tuesday the patient is a Congolese woman in a district near the Congo...
Read More
June 06, 2019 - 6:14 am
GENEVA (AP) — The World Health Organization says it may be missing a quarter of all Ebola cases in eastern Congo as violent unrest complicates detection. That estimate by WHO emergencies chief Dr. Michael Ryan on Thursday comes after aid groups expressed concern this week that the rate of new cases...
Read More
May 28, 2019 - 8:38 am
GENEVA (AP) — The World Health Organization says it is making progress in tracking new Ebola cases in eastern Congo but Doctors Without Borders asserts that the vast majority were not previously known as contacts of victims. WHO emergencies chief Dr. Michael Ryan told reporters in Geneva on Tuesday...
Read More
May 20, 2019 - 4:32 am
GENEVA (AP) — The head of the U.N. health agency says the risk that the Ebola virus will spread remains "very high." Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus was speaking Monday at the start of the World Health Organization's annual assembly, where issues like anti-microbial resistance, universal health care and...
Read More
May 13, 2019 - 6:00 am
BENI, Congo (AP) — Authorities say an Ebola treatment has come under attack again in eastern Congo. Butembo Mayor Sylvain Kanyamanda said Monday that one of the attackers was killed in the overnight assault in Katwa. Two patients also died after all the nursing staff fled the health facility. The...
Read More
May 10, 2019 - 1:46 am
DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — The World Health Organization is warning it may not be possible to contain Ebola to the two affected provinces in eastern Congo if violent attacks on health teams continue. In an update Friday, WHO warned that Ebola response activities had been halted for five consecutive days...
Read More
FILE - In this Sunday, Sept. 9, 2018 file photo, a health worker feeds a boy suspected of having the Ebola virus at an Ebola treatment centre in Beni, Eastern Congo. The World Health Organization says Ebola deaths in Congo's latest outbreak are expected to exceed 1,000 later on Friday, May 3, 2019. WHO's emergencies chief made the announcement at a news conference in Geneva. The Ebola outbreak that was declared in eastern Congo in August is already the second deadliest outbreak in history, and efforts to control it have been complicated by a volatile security situation and deep community mistrust. (AP Photo/Al-hadji Kudra Maliro, File)
May 03, 2019 - 11:24 am
GENEVA (AP) — The Latest on the Ebola outbreak in Congo (all times local): 7:15 p.m. Congo's Health Ministry says more than 1,000 people have died in an Ebola outbreak that started in August. Health Minister Oly Ilunga confirmed to The Associated Press on Friday that the number of infected people...
Read More
May 03, 2019 - 5:59 am
GENEVA (AP) — Ebola deaths in Congo's latest outbreak are expected to exceed 1,000 later on Friday, the World Health Organization announced, as attacks continue on health workers trying to contain the virus's spread. The outbreak that was declared in eastern Congo in August is already the second...
Read More

Pages