Reseda Man Charged with Plotting Terrorist Attacks in Long Beach was Reportedly Kicked out of Military

May 01, 2019 - 7:49 am

The man charged with plotting terrorist attacks in Long Beach recently arrived at the Islamic Center of Reseda, seeking conversion to Islam.

That's according to the director of the mosque, who says Mark Domingo didn’t ask questions or talk to anyone, he just came to pray and left.

The director says it's common for newcomers to come to the mosque seeking conversion, but there were some ways in which Domingo stood out - for instance, he was wearing his hair in braids and was not dressed in traditional clothing.

The man involved in the terror plot was also reportedly kicked out of the U.S. military.

The Army veteran, accused of planning an attack that would cause "mass casualties," got an early discharge.

An unnamed official tells the Associated Press Mark Steven Domingo was demoted and given a general discharge for a "serious offense."

Lawrence Korb,  a senior fellow at the Center for American Progress and retired Navy captain,  says a general discharge is a "black mark" on someone's record.

"It's not the best thing but it's not the worst thing either..." he said.

Military records show Domingo served for less than a year and a half, including a deployment to Afghanistan.

He's been in custody since his arrest on Friday, when, authorities say, Domingo accepted what he thought was a pressure-cooker bomb for an attack he allegedly planned to carry out on Sunday. The device was actually inert and provided by an undercover officer.

Domingo had been under surveillance for weeks.

Authorities say the 26-year-old Reseda resident had become radicalized and expressed support for violent jihad and a desire to become a martyr.

Domingo is awaiting arraignment.

-KNX 1070