Jon Baird

Investigators Release Details from Borderline Shooting in Thousand Oaks

November 27, 2018 - 2:02 pm

LOS ANGELES (AP/KNX 1070) — The killer who massacred innocent people in the Borderline Bar and Grill in Thousand Oaks carried in a large amount of ammunition.   

Authorities also say he waited for law officers then ambushed them.

The Ventura County Sheriff Bill Ayub updated the media and public on the latest into the investigation Tuesday. He says the shooter, a former Marine,  fired more than 50 rounds from his Glock handgun specially adjusted to fire rapidly. 

The Sheriff revealed the shooter threw smoke bombs during the attack and his gun was equipped with a laser to help target victims. 

At a news conference, officials from Ventura County and the FBi said the gunman went into Borderline ready to kill and opened up immediately with his Glock 45 caliber semiautomatic handgun.

They also say he a flashlight with a laser sight and tossed smoke grenades during the Borderline attack. 

He shot 13 people and only 1 survived. Then he got ready for law enforcement officers.

Sgt Ron Helus and another CHP officer went in when Helus was shot dead.  

Investigators haven't said what they believe motivated 28-year-old Ian David Long to open fire at the Borderline Bar and Grill in the Los Angeles suburb of Thousand Oaks. Long, who killed himself, posted on social media about whether people would think he was insane.

Investigators have interviewed hundreds of witnesses, gathered bullet casings, surveillance video, and other evidence from the scene of the shooting, as well as seized items from Long's home, including electronic devices, said Ventura County sheriff's Capt. Garo Kuredjian.

Detectives hope evidence taken from the house helps them learn why Long carried out the attack, and that evidence from the bar better explains how he carried it out.

"There's a process of both interviewing the people and getting the information investigators obtain and consolidating those to develop a timeline and if we can discover what the motivation was for this attack," Kuredjian said. "They've been doing that pretty much around the clock since it happened."

Their work continued in spite of a wildfire that erupted just hours after the shooting, forcing FBI investigators and local sheriff's detectives to evacuate.

"They didn't miss a beat," said Kuredjian, who also had to evacuate.

Long, a former machine gunner and Afghanistan war veteran, attacked the Borderline Bar on a busy weekday night, firing into the crowd as some hurled barstools through windows to escape. Those killed included sheriff's Sgt. Ron Helus, one of the first officers to arrive in response to 911 calls.

Neighbors said Long made them uncomfortable and even called 911 on him in April. Responding deputies found Long behaving angrily and irrationally but a mental health specialist who met with him didn't feel he needed to be hospitalized.

Two of Long's former high school track coaches described his behavior during his teenage years as aggressive and disturbing.

They told The Associated Press that they repeatedly complained about Long to school administrators, insisted that he needed help, and even kicked him off the team after he assaulted one of them. They say another coach reinstated Long after arguing the black mark could jeopardize his goal of joining the military.

KNX reporter Jon Baird: