Getty

Former Rap Mogul "Suge" Knight Gets 28 Years for Fatal Hit-and-Run

October 04, 2018 - 11:36 am
Categories: 

(KNX 1070/AP) - Former rap mogul "Suge" Knight was sentenced to 28 years in prison Thursday morning.

Tears filled a downtown LA courtroom where Knight was sentenced for ramming his truck into two men in Compton – killing one of them.

Several relatives of Terry Carter, who died from his injuries after being struck by Knight, addressed the court including his niece who spoke about having to see video of him being run over more than three years ago.

After Knight’s sentencing, Carter’s daughter said this has been a long rough road and said she was not satisfied with his sentence. She and others felt Knight should never see the light of day again. He struck a plea deal days before going to trial, pleaded no contest to voluntary manslaughter.

 Knight was due in court Thursday more than three years after he rammed two men with his pickup truck, killing one of them, outside a burger stand in Compton.

Knight was facing up to 28 years in prison, after pleading no contest to voluntary manslaughter in the 2015 confrontation that left Carter fatally hurt.

Under the plea deal worked out prosecutors, Knight avoids going on trial for murder and the possibility of a life sentence, had he been convicted.

KNX reporter Claudia Peschiutta:

Criminal defense attorney R.J. Manuelian - who is not involved in the case but has been following it - says Knight might get out in a couple of decades.

Two other cases against Knight are due to be dismissed as part of the plea deal. KNX has been unable to reach his attorney for comment.

In September, averting a murder trial that had been nearly four years in coming, Knight pleaded no contest to voluntary manslaughter for running over and killing a Compton businessman and agreed to serve nearly 30 years in prison.

The Death Row Records co-founder entered the plea in Los Angeles Superior Court after striking a deal with prosecutors, and has agreed to serve 28 years. Jury selection for his trial, which could have led to a life sentence, had been scheduled to begin Monday.

Knight was charged with murder, attempted murder and hit-and-run after fleeing the scene of a dispute in January 2015 outside a Compton burger stand. Knight and Cle "Bone" Sloan, a consultant on the N.W.A. biopic "Straight Outta Compton," traded punches before Knight clipping him with his pickup truck and ran over businessman Carter, who died from his injuries.

Knight's attorneys have said he was acting in self-defense and was fleeing armed attackers when he ran over Carter and Sloan. Sloan has denied he was carrying a gun during the confrontation.

During Thursday's hearing in September, Knight, wearing orange jail attire with his arms and legs in chains, answered Judge Ronald Coen's questions, loudly and quickly saying "no contest" when the judge asked for his plea. He will be formally sentenced on Oct. 4.

The plea deal calls for Knight to serve 22 years in prison on the voluntary manslaughter count, and another six years because it is a third strike violation.

Knight disagreed with the judge's description of one of his previous strikes and put a pause in the proceedings that briefly raised tension in the courtroom.

"You served nine years for it," Coen said, before Knight agreed to move on.

Carter's daughter, Crystal, sat in the front row of the courtroom and displayed no visible reaction to the proceedings. "I'm surprised he pleaded out," Crystal Carter said outside court. "Normally he likes the cameras to be on him 24-7."

The agreement also absolves Knight in two other cases, both from 2014. He was accused of stealing a camera from a woman and of sending threatening text messages to "Straight Outta Compton" director F. Gary Gray.

Delays, detours and drama marked the run-up to Knight's trial, which was expected to begin Oct. 1 under tight security and secrecy. Court officials had said that no witness list would be released ahead of the trial, and that some witnesses might not be identified by name during the case.

Surveillance video that showed Knight hitting the two men with his truck was likely to play a central role for both sides.

Sloan, who had feuded with Knight for years in a dispute with roots in their Compton gang ties, was likely to have been the trial's key witness, but may have been a difficult one for the prosecution.

Despite giving a detailed account of the incident to police on the day it happened, just a few months later at a preliminary hearing he claimed to have little memory of it, and even refused at first to identify Knight as the person sitting in the courtroom who he'd fought with.

Knight collapsed during one court hearing, two of his former attorneys were indicted on witness-tampering charges, and his fiancee pleaded no contest to selling video of Knight hitting the two men with his truck.

His attorney Albert DeBlanc Jr., appointed by the court five months ago, was his 16th, and Knight tried to fire him and get yet another lawyer just a day before the deal was reached.

Knight would frequently, against the advice of Coen and his attorneys, speak extensively during hearings, complaining about jail conditions, his attorneys and his health issues.

Last month, while Coen read legal language about the plea and told Knight he was subject to deportation if he was not a citizen, Knight said "ICE is coming to get me?" to a smattering of laughs.

DeBlanc declined comment on the plea agreement. Prosecutors did not speak to reporters outside court.

The 53-year-old was a key player in the gangster rap scene that flourished in the 1990s, and his label once listed Dr. Dre, Tupac Shakur and Snoop Dogg among its artists. Knight lost control of the company after it was forced into bankruptcy. He has prior felony convictions for armed robbery and assault with a gun. He pleaded no contest in 1995 and was sentenced to five years' probation for assaulting two rap entertainers at a Hollywood recording studio in 1992.

He was sentenced in February 1997 to prison for violating terms of that probation by taking part in a fight at a Las Vegas hotel hours before Shakur was fatally wounded in a drive-by attack as he rode in Knight's car just east of the Las Vegas Strip. Shakur's slaying remains unsolved.

Listen to KNX1070 live on the Radio.com app.

If you don’t have the Radio.com app, download it here.

 

Tags: