Court Papers Reveal 2 Women Shot at Rapper Nipsey Hussle's Vigil

April 10, 2019 - 3:46 pm

LOS ANGELES — Court papers say two women were shot and injured as a crowd of 400 scattered during a vigil for Nipsey Hussle hours after the rapper was killed, and police are looking for a gunman.

The peaceful vigil began at 6:30 p.m. and was conducted without incident.  After the formal event, around 8 p.m., a large mass panic occurred, where mourners were seen running from the vigil site.  Some of the people were injured because of the stampede and others from falling on glass candles that lined the sidewalks.  LAPD and L.A. Fire Department resources immediately responded and dispersed the crowds while treating individuals for minor injuries. 

A search warrant affidavit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court was used to get surveillance video from the shopping center where Hussle was killed March 31 and the crowd later gathered to mourn him.

During the chaos, a witness notified a member of LAPD’s command staff on-scene, that an individual in the crowd brandished a handgun and an unknown member of the crowd began struggling with that man to get the gun away.  He was eventually able to disarm that individual.  That same witness also stated no shooting had occurred, which was consistent with reports from officers working the event who also reported that they did not hear any gunshots.  However, there were witnesses who stated they heard shots fired.  Regardless, investigators began searching for information regarding the potential ADW and brandishing, but they were unable to confirm that a shooting occurred, due to no victims at the scene, and no witnesses to a shooting.    

Officers were sent to local hospitals to check on victims of the incident and were alerted that two victims of gunshot wounds had been treated at one of those hospitals.  The victims were in stable condition, with non-life-threatening injuries, and confirmed that they were at the vigil and had transported themselves to the hospital.  

On April 8, 2019, detectives served a search warrant on several locations in the area of Crenshaw Boulevard and Slauson Avenue to obtain evidence of the shooting.  The investigation is ongoing.  

The affidavit says police are investigating the identity of both gunman and intended victim.

The women told investigators they fell to the ground as the crowd stampeded around them and discovered they had been shot, one in the back, one in the elbow.

Police Chief Michel Moore acknowledged the women's reports two days after the vigil, but he said a commander there heard no gunfire.

--Associated Press contributed to this story.