USA Today

'Backstreet Boys' Singer Nick Carter will Not Face Criminal Prosecution of Alleged Rape

September 11, 2018 - 2:21 pm
Categories: 

(KNX 1070) -- Backstreet Boys singer Nick Carter was accused of raping a woman 15 years ago, but he will not be facing criminal prosecution.

The alleged 2003 rape of Dream singer Melissa Schuman, was reported to Santa Monica Police in February 2018. 

Carter claimed the sexual contact was consensual. 

Schuman made the accusation in a blog post in November 2018, saying that the incident allegedly occurred at his Santa Monica apartment when she was 18; 



Carter's attorney said in a statement that his client has denied the allegations since he first learned of them last year and has now been 'vindicated.' Carter "is happy to put this matter behind him."

“My family and I were well aware of the likelihood that my case was not prosecutable due to the statute of limitations in California regarding rape which was modified in 2016. It is unfortunate that the law isn’t fully retroactive to accommodate assaults that have happened in the past, regardless of how far back.

It gives me great solace to know that my testimony is fully documented, investigated and sealed for the future if needed by law enforcement. I gave my statement, as did the other witnesses. Speaking out was the best thing I could have ever done for myself and I hope it inspires others to do the same if it feels right for them," Schuman said in a statement to the Hollywood Reporter.