Starbucks Is Moving to Drive-Thru Only for Next Two Weeks Amid Coronavirus Crisis

Tarrah Gibbons
March 22, 2020 - 8:21 am
Categories: 

Starbucks made an important announcement in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

The famous coffee chain said that it would be closing all stores for two weeks and limiting service to drive-thru and delivery only.

Stores across the United States and Canada will change to a drive-thru set up for a minimum of two weeks. This move comes as the coffee mogul continues to try to keep its customers safe during the COVID-19 outbreak.

The company said it is keeping select locations in and around hospitals and health care facilities open.

According to USA Today, in a letter to employees, Starbucks executive vice president and president of U.S. company-operated business, Rossann Williams said employees will still be given their paychecks. The policy states that baristas will be paid for the next 30 days "whether they go to stores or stay home."

The company also expanded catastrophe pay and said it will still offer mental health and child care support as well as pay benefits.

"The magnitude of managing through this situation is the single biggest challenge many of us have faced in our lifetime, and I am continually moved by your compassion for each other, our customers, and our communities during this exceptionally difficult time," Williams said.

Williams also expressed that during this challenging time, the company said, as people, we need one another more than ever.

Earlier this month, Starbucks considered scaling back its operations by limiting person-to-person contact at its cafes as a precaution to keep customers and employees safe.

As a precaution, the chain has also temporarily stopped allowing customers from using personal cups and tumblers to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.

LISTEN NOW on the RADIO.COM App
Follow RADIO.COM
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram