Retired Police Captain Killed While Protecting Friend's Store During Violent Protests

Lizzy Buczak
June 03, 2020 - 11:53 am

A retired police captain was fatally shot during a night of violent protests and looting in St. Louis.

David Dorn was killed while responding to an alarm at a pawnshop, the St. Louis Police Department announced in a news conference Tuesday.

The 77-year-old’s wife, St. Louis Police Sgt. Ann Marie Dorn, said her husband was protecting his friend’s pawn shop, Lee’s Pawn and Jewelry, from being looted, according to ABC News. 

The publication reported that his death was captured on a since-removed Facebook Live video. His body was found on the sidewalk around 2:30am.

St. Louis Police Chief John Hayden told reporters Dorn was "a fine captain" who served on the force for 38 years before retiring in October 2007.

He went on to become chief of Moline Acres, a small town in St. Louis County, where former St. Louis County Police Chief Tim Fitch recalls he was dedicated to helping “disadvantaged youth.”

“He wanted to see them succeed. He wanted to be a role model for those young men and women to go into law enforcement,” Fitch added per ABC.

Dorn’s son, Brian Powell, echoed those sentiments adding that his father would have forgiven those behind the violence on the streets and tried to help them.

"Because he was real big on trying to talk to youth. And mentoring young people as well. He tried to get them on the straight and narrow and everything," Powell told KTVI.

"The person who pulled the trigger, my message to them would just simply be, just step back from what you're doing. Know the real reason that you're protesting. Let's do it in a positive manner. We don't have to go out and loot and do all the other things," he added.

President Donald Trump paid tribute to Dorn on Twitter writing, "Our highest respect to the family of David Dorn, a Great Police Captain from St. Louis, who was viciously shot and killed by despicable looters last night. We honor our police officers, perhaps more than ever before. Thank you!"

Dorn’s death came on the heels of St. Louis’ most violent night.

"Throughout the night, we made 25 arrests for various charges. And then there were 55 businesses and counting that were burglarized and had property damage," Chief Hayden told CNN.

The protests and riots have spread across the U.S. following George Floyd’s death on May 25th in Minneapolis.

Floyd died in police custody after a white cop, Derek Chauvin, pressed his knee into Floyd’s neck for more than eight minutes while he was handcuffed and gasping for air. Chauvin was fired, arrested, and charged with third degree murder and manslaughter.

No arrests have been made in Dorn’s death. St. Louis Regional Crimestoppers is offering a $10,000 reward for information on who was responsible.

Facebook | Twitter | Instagram