UPDATE: Convicted Sex Offender Cary Jay Smith Leaves Santa Ana for Costa Mesa

Rebekah Sager
July 24, 2020 - 5:41 pm
Orange County PD

Courtesy: Orange County PD

Categories: 

Convicted sex offender, Cary Jay Smith, who reportedly calls himself Mr. RTK for “rape, torture, kill,” was temporarily living in Corona, after his release from a state psychiatric facility after 21 years.

Smith has been relocated to Lake Elsinore, then a San Diego County community, Garden Grove, a healthcare facility in Santa Ana, law enforcement officials say, and now he isn't in Santa Ana as of Wednesday.

Listen Live Now on KNX 1070

He went back to Costa Mesa, according to an ABC 7 story on Wednesday.

On Wednesday afternoon, Santa Ana Police Department officials said on Twitter that "#SantaAnaPD has received information that Cary Jay Smith is no longer located in Santa Ana. SAPD will continue to monitor the situation and work in partnership with our law enforcement partners and the Orange County District Attorney’s Office."

In the ABC story, it was reported that "Shortly after, police in Costa Mesa issued a community advisory that Smith had arrived at healthcare facility in that city. "CMPD is committed to public safety and will continue to monitor the situation and collaborate with our law enforcement partners," the advisory read."

Earlier this week, the Garden Grove Police Department, reported that Smith, 59, was no longer in Garden Grove.

 

Community members have a right to be afraid. 

In the time Smith was held by the state, he was entitled to a new trial every six months to prove that he was no longer a threat to society.

"During those hearings, Smith has repeatedly testified that he fantasizes about raping and then killing young boys in order to avoid being identified. He claims that he has killed three boys and molested 200," the DA's office said in a statement last week.

Garden Grove police have told the community that they've immediately set up a surveillance detail and are continuing to monitor Smith.

San Diego Sheriff's Department tweeted Sunday that Smith is staying at a motel in North County.

 Smith, 59, triggered warnings from law enforcement several times as he moved from Orange to Corona to Lake Elsinore, and then to San Diego over the last several days.

 Smith, 59, triggered warnings from law enforcement several times as he moved from Orange to Corona to Lake Elsinore, and then to San Diego over the last several days.

— Garden Grove Police (@GardenGrovePD) July 21, 2020

San Diego Sheriff's Department tweeted Sunday that Smith is staying at a motel in North County.

Saturday, the Corona Police Department Saturday alerted the public that Cary was in the area.

More than 12,000 people signed a Change.org petition demanding for Smith to be registered again as a sex offender so people will be aware if he is in their community.

“Mr. Smith is not on any form of supervised release or required to register as a sex offender. Smith can move around without restrictions,” the police said.

Smith was remanded to the hospital after describing in a letter the sex acts he wanted to perform on a 7-year-old boy who lived in his Costa Mesa neighborhood.

“I’m so sad, and I’m so angry,” Lynn Rinner, the boy’s mother told CBS Los Angeles. “There’s too many kids that are in danger. This guy…it’s not ‘if’ he is going to offend. He will offend again.”

— Corona Police Dept. #CoronaPD (@CoronaPD) July 18, 2020

Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer and county Board of Supervisors Chairwoman Michelle Steel asked Gov. Gavin Newsom last week to stop the release of a man they say is a sexual predator.

Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer and county Board of Supervisors Chairwoman Michelle Steel asked Gov. Gavin Newsom last week to stop the release of a man they say is a sexual predator.

Smith was sent to Patton State Hospital in San Bernardino in 1999.

Smith was remanded to the hospital after describing in a letter the sex acts he wanted to perform on a 7-year-old boy who lived in his Costa Mesa neighborhood.

“I’m so sad, and I’m so angry,” Lynn Rinner, the boy’s mother told CBS Los Angeles. “There’s too many kids that are in danger. This guy…it’s not ‘if’ he is going to offend. He will offend again.”

Smith was required to register as a sex offender after pleading guilty to a 1985 misdemeanor sexual offense involving a child. In 2005, that registration requirement was removed. His custody is re-evaluated every six months, and officials say he has repeatedly testified during those hearings about fantasizing about raping then killing young boys.