COVID-19: LA County Public Health Officials Visited 2,000 Restaurants Over the Weekend - Half Were Not in Compliance with Reopening Safety Guidelines

KNX 1070
June 15, 2020 - 3:54 pm
    Categories: 
    More than 1,000 new COVID-19 cases have been announced today in LA County.  
     
    That pushes the total close to 74,000. And virus-related deaths are approaching 3,000.

    Meanwhile, there are indications the reopening process isn't going as planned.
     
    So far, restaurants and shopping have reopened for in-store shopping and on-site dining within LA County.
     
    "We did have our teams out this weekend and they visited 2,000 restaurants and found that 50 percent of the restaurants were still not in compliance," Ferrer said Monday.
     
    Ferrer, the county's public health director, says there was some confusion about new rules meant to prevent the spread of the virus and her department's been trying to get business owners up to speed.
     
     "They'll be revisiting all of the restaurants that were not in compliance and issuing them an order to come into compliance," Ferrer said.
     
    Public health officials have made it clear that cooperation from businesses and the public will be key to reopening without prompting spikes in cases and hospitalizations.
     
    The reopening guidelines for restaurants reopening on-site dining: http://www.publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/docs/protocols/Reopening_Restaurants.pdf
     
    They've already noted the transmission rate is creeping up.
     
    And it's still unclear how the latest reopening measures and recent mass protests will affect the spread of the virus.
     
    Ferrer says there are close to 1,300 people with COVID-19 who are currently in the hospital and the daily hospitalization figures are showing "slight" declines.