Egypt says e.coli caused the death of 2 British tourists

September 12, 2018 - 8:01 am

CAIRO (AP) — Egypt's chief prosecutor says tests showed that e.coli bacteria were behind the death of two British tourists in a hotel in the Red Sea resort of Hurghada.

Travel company Thomas Cook said last week that there was a "high level of e.coli and staphylococcus bacteria" at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel where John and Susan Cooper, a couple in their 60s, died Aug. 21.

Prosecutor Nabil Sadek says Wednesday forensic tests showed that John Cooper suffered acute intestinal dysentery caused by e.coli, and Susan Cooper suffered Hemolytic-uremic syndrome (HUS), likely because of e.coli.

He says the couple's bodies showed "no criminal violence" and other tests on air and water at the hotel found nothing unusual.

Thomas Cook evacuated 300 guests from the hotel as a precaution after the Coopers died.